Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dog eats better than me (food followup)

A couple of weeks back I was still deliberating about what to feed Danny. Honestly, I have never given so much thought to my own diet. Just about everything that goes in is what I feel like eating at the time.

Case in point: I woke up one morning and spent the next 10 minutes opening and closing the fridge door in the hope that something inspiring would magically appear. Then the light blub went off. I made a beeline to a bag of Rufffles (cheddar and sour cream) and downed half the pack. Breakfast solved!

The same went for ice cream on a seperate morning. But my argument has always been that it's part of a complete breakfast (even though it doesn't say so on the box). Look, it contains milk, carbs and plenty of liquid (in solid form). And if you're lucky, it'll even have nuts (protein and fiber). How brilliant is that?!

Anyway, back to Danny. My concern was to make sure he was getting all the nutrition I wasn't. After hunting about a bit more, I decided to try out Orijen. Remember the BARF diet? Well, Orijen's formula follows the diet very closely, so much so that it states BARK (Biologically Appropriate Real-Food Kibble) on the packaging.

Enquiries at a pet store revealed that Orijen doesn't use any grain or corn as fillers, resulting in kibble that doesn't give off tiny crumbs. The only problem I could find with the brand is that some people feel that it contains too much protein for the dog.

The problem with too much protein? It can cause the pee to smell and some people believe it may result in kidney problems in the future. The other school of thought, however, is that it's not the quantity but the quality of the protein that causes problems.

Either way, I've decided to give it a go. The tricky thing about him is that mini schnauzers are generally prone to skin problems. According to the vet, dogs with skin problems shouldn't eat dog food that contains chicken, and Orijen's puppy food does.

My solution is to start off on Science Diet puppy chow. It's one of the very few designed-for-puppies kibble that doesn't contain chicken. Once he hit's adulthood, I'll start him on Orijen fish.

He eats anything including my mom's plants so I'm pretty sure he'll like it. Even if he doesn't, one thing's for sure - he'll be healthier than I am.

3 comments:

wandi said...

Hi Angela and Danny :-)

Anyway, I'm working as a call centre officer at PT.TELEKOMUNIKASI INDONESIA Tbk, an Indonesian state-owned telco company.
Maybe someday if my English is perfect, I will try to apply a position in SINGTEL so that I am able to meet you and Danny in real :-)

Seems like you really care about Danny. I like to know it :-)
Ever try "Pedigree" before?
I always see Pedigree in supermarket.
Or too much protein in it?

This morning I wake up, I really want to have a golden retriever sleep beside me..hehehe..
How is the price of golden retriever baby in Spore?
Is it better to buy a baby than an adult dog?
Would you give me advice?
Saya berharap mendapat banyak dari Angela mengenai anjing karena saya sangat etratrik untuk memelihara anjing :-)

wandi said...

Hi Angela and Danny.
It's me again :-)
After searching in Uncle Google, I saw Danny looks like a Miniature Schnauzer ..
Is it right? :-)

Angela said...

Hihi! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, Danny is a Mini Schnauzer. :D Golden retreivers in singapore cost around S$1,600 for a puppy. They're nice dogs but tend to get fat easily, so have to watch their diet.

Menurut saya, I think both adult and puppy have their benefits. Pupies are cute but are a lot of work. Have to take care of them and watch them. Adults sort of know the world by now and what you see is what you get. If you're lucky they may even come toilet trained! :D

Pedigree is not a very good brand. I heard some dogs have stomach or intestine problems from eating it. But it really depends. My friend's dog ate it and no problems.