Sunday, August 30, 2009

One ungroomed schnauzer...

Okay, I know that schnauzers are one breed that do need grooming. All the schnauzers I see around all have that "old man" look. Danny had that too when we first brought him home.


Now when I look back at this shot, Danny actually has sort of a weird alien look. Sort of like Stitch. It's the typical Schnauzer look which, quite frankly, I never really liked. After 4 ungroomed months with us, he now looks like this:

And there no sign that he's ever going back to being a neat dog again. We brush him down and bathe him regularly, but to us, he looks more like a dog with his fur all long and scruffy. I just think dogs look a lot cuter when they are not so manicured and prissy.

And it's not just schnauzers.

For example:
VS

And to seal my point...

VS


I read somewhere that ungroomed schnauzers will eventually look like small Old English Sheepdogs. I think we're going to find out ...

Future Danny?

7 comments:

Gerry said...

agree that he looks better like this! :)

Angela said...

Totally! It's so much more doggie!

ttt said...

I don't like the salon look, specially they clippered the dogs what damages the natural hair. But I do use a stripping knife to remove dead overcoat hair. and cut a fringe so he sees better.

Angela said...

Hey you sound like a pro groomer!

Anonymous said...

Its awesome... but you should keep his eyebrows trimmed at least, hair in their eyes can cause vision problems and even an infection. Keep just that trimmed and I think you have a new look!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a miniature schnauzer and prefer the shaggy look too. I only take her to the groomer a couple of times a year (I bathe her regularly though and trim her eyebrows). When I take her in I usually get her body cut short (no stupid skirt) with a typical schnauzer head cut.

Angela said...

Agreed! Trim the eyebrows and regular brushing to get rid of any matts and we're good to go! When Danny comes back from the groomers with the eyebrows shortened, he tends to look pissed off. Needs a week or two for him to grow out of it!