Friday, June 25, 2010

The carrot and the stick - Part I

Now that the playmate programme (for some reason this sounds kinky) is in the trash, we have resorted to other methods of keeping Danny quiet.

Danny likes toys which fit nicely within his jaws. Roaming around Pet Lovers Centre the other day, I chanced upon a Kong rubber bone.


All Kong toys have a hollow space for you to stuff all sorts of treats with. This one has two! The idea is that your dog will be so occupied trying to get at the treat that he'll forget to be noisy, destructive and a general pain in the *beep*.

...Sorry. When I say "your", I actually mean "my".

The toy itself stinks. It's made of rubber and it smells like rubber. On its own, Danny actually prefers my socks. (Yes, he does really, right out of the laundry basket too.) But smeared with goodies, it's suddenly a wonder toy.

We experimented with a few: bovril, honey,... and the winner is PEANUT BUTTER! Yup, the dog goes quite mad for it. We stuff it and then chuck it into the freezer first to make it more challenging.

Keeps him busy for a couple of hours or until the treat runs out.

Mouth- and paw-stained Danny....Yums!


No comments: