Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Danny Experiment

My dad-in-law recently adopted a kitten. I've always been somewhat blah when it comes to cats. Just about every cat I've come across tries to sink its claws into me for no good reason. The only exception was this really sweet kitten who followed me home one day, mewing pitifully until I brought her in. I named her June. She would come when called and if she was scared, she would hide and peek out from behind the table legs. Cute as she was, Chassard (my old dog) really didn't take to her...and I mean REALLY. So after about a week we found her another home.

Thus when my parents-in-law announced they had a kitten, I thought maybe she would be something like June. Hmm...not exactly. She's a pretty cat with a nice meow, but I need to be on high alert when I play with her. It normally takes about 10 maybe 15 seconds before the claws come out.

Anyway, after about the 10th or the 20th near miss, I began to wonder how much attention Danny could handle, and what he would do when he's had enough.

Well, I took the advantage of a lazy Sunday morning to try and figure it out. It was raining a bit, so I was stuck at home and Danny was leashed up indoors while we had breakfast. I took a quick glance at the clock (11.05am - yes breakfast at 11, I did say it was a lazy morning) and headed towards him. He sat up right away with an expectant hopeful look. Today, I would not disappoint him, I thought with glee.

I start by rubbing his head, then his back. Then he rolled over so I could scratch his tummy. After a while, I sat him up and started all over again.

This went on for about half and hour until it finally hit me that I need to get on with life.

So I stood up much to Danny's dismay...

"What? That's it?"

...That same astounded look followed me down the stairs.

"You're really leaving???"

The experiment may have failed but I have come to the conclusion that Danny has Attention Deficit Disorder - he's always in deficit of attention regardless of how much he gets.

It's a hypothesis that warrants further testing should I have another boring day, but until then, ADD Type D (for Danny) it is!

2 comments:

Geraldine said...

I have not met any dog that gets tired of attention...

Angela said...

Usually they leave if they get distracted by something or someone. I just keep thinking that there must be a limit...will let you know if I find one!