Thursday, December 31, 2009

Danny's New Year dinner

Hello! Hello! It's New Year's Eve and I'm sure a whole bunch of you have wild party plans tonight. As for me, my plan is to sleep my way into the new year.

The year has been filled with a number of firsts - first (and last) sibling's wedding, first time in a recording studio, first time singing solo at a wedding (needed 2 beers and a wine before I could get on stage), and of course, Danny's my first schnauzer. Along with him came the first grooming session and the first visit to a pet cafe.

Yes, I don't know about you, but Danny's ending his year quite pleased and round. He's now a not-so-mini schnauzer, tipping the scales at 9.5kg. It really didn't help that I brought him to Bark Angel for a post-Christmas-early-New-Year dinner.

Danny recognised Bryan straight away and was straining on the leash to get to him. Hubby held on to him while I headed to the counter to check out the doggie menu:



I actually turned to hubby and asked, "So what do you think he will like?" Hubby's face said it all. I was asking about a dog that happily eats tissue paper right out of the box.

I ended up ordering a grilled boneless chicken with honey. It came with a choice of two sides. The chef recommended the mashed potatoes and egg, but I took one look at Danny's round furry butt and picked a double helping of vegetables instead.

Then came the wait. We had to keep Danny entertained cos he kept wanting to explore. One of the staff came over and said it was okay to let him off the leash. I told him that if I did that, there wouldn't be much of a shop left. You see, they have a section where they sell shampoos and other doggie items, and Danny was showing a lot of interest in the smaller items that would fit between his teeth.

After a bit, the scent of Danny's dinner came wafting through the kitchen door. It smelt really good even by human standards!


And whenever there's food, Danny will suddenly turn into the world's best dog. He sat and waited patiently, never once taking his eyes off the bowl.


And then when I placed the bowl down...


He polished off the chicken first and then went on to the veg. The carrots and tomatoes didn't bother him, but it was his first encounter with broccoli and he seemed a little fazed by it. He initially picked up a piece and then after mouthing it for a bit, he dropped it on the floor. Only when everything else was gone did he give it another go.

I guess if you've never had it before, broccoli is a strange vegetable.
Have a wonderful new year all!

6 comments:

gerry said...

Happy New Year!
Gosh Danny is even heavier than Russ!! Is he going on a diet?

Angela said...

Heyo! Happy New Year! Yes we put him on a diet. Now he just gets one meal a day and an egg in the morning.

Dunno how it will go though, cos Dad keeps sneaking him cornflakes. :P

Hey, we should meet up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

Happened to chance upon your blog. It's really hilarious reading your posts on Danny. It sure sounds like a love-hate relationship. I have a mini schnauzer puppy too! Look forward to reading more updates on Danny and his latest antics.

Love, Sue

Angela said...

Hi Sue,

Glad to meet another schnauzer owner. Danny's my very first schnauzer and already I'm realising there's a lot I didn't know!

Hope you're having a great start to the new year. Cheers!

Angela

Jewl said...

Omg, teach me how to fatten my dog. He's 6 months old but not even 2kg! I'm stuffing him with 3 meals a day but my poodle is still that so tiny.

Angela said...

Hmm... you can try feeding him with Orijen. Danny got a lot bigger when I started him on that. A lot of dog foods have fillers which have almost zero nutritional value.

Or, maybe you just have a naturally small puppy. He sounds really cute though!