Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A puppy for Mother's Day

Mother's Day began like any other day. Mum woke up bright and early and was gushing about how clean the house was without a dog around. When I commented about what fun they are, she immediately told me to go do something more useful with my money like take up the violin or something. Being Mother's Day, I didn't say a word and just went back to my paper.

The propect of having a fuzzy one in the house again never looked bleaker.

Also, we got round to discussing this a couple of weeks back, and everyone had their criteria for the new dog. When I compiled everything, the new boy needed to be *ahem*: a free 3-month-old puppy of a unique, manja, non-aggressive and easy-to-train breed with minimal health problems, needing little grooming that will grow up to be a small dog which won't shed but isn't so small he will fit through the bars of the front gate.

Easy, ya? While I'm at it, I'll wish for a billion dollars and a castle in the sky.

Even after eliminating the "free" bit, no dog breed selector on the Internet could suggest a suitable dog. Still I wasn't in a hurry and decided to take my time to look around.

When my dad reached home on Sunday afternoon, I casually mentioned as he was removing his socks that mum didn't want another dog. He jerked his head up, leaving half a sock dangling from his toes, and said, "Who said they don't want another dog?!!?"

He proceeded to announce that Mother's Day or not, mum was out-voted. To prove it, he packed mum and me back in the car and headed to a few pet shops just for a look.

Mum was sleepy but she wanted to make sure we weren't going start liking some "boring ol' breed". As adament as she had been in the morning, she really seemed to like all the puppies, but one in particular stood out. "Ooooh, what's that? It's so cute!"

Me: "Er? Oh...that's a schnauzer."

Mum: "Ah? A what? How to spell, ah?"

Me: "Nevermind. It's an Ah Pek dog. Next."

But there was no "next" for mum.

"So cute! I like the colour!" "So friendly! Is it trainable?" "Does the fur grow like that normally?" "Such pretty eyes!"

Me and dad: "..."

Pet shop owner: $$$



.


.


.



By 8pm, we were on our way home with brand new 3.5 month old mini schnauzer with a load of accessories and puppy chow in the boot.

Danny loves to be carried and thinks moving toes are fun teething toys. He loves to eat and of course what goes in must come out, right?

Unfortunately, yes.

This morning he was so happy to see me, he was dancing in his own poop. Good thing he's cute.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! How amazing! This is fate. Hope to read more about your cute little boy.

Anonymous said...

WTH! a Shnauzer??!! but I tot...!
hahahh, he's soooooooo cuuute!!! so im not complaining.. hehe.
cant wait to go over your place to check out the cutie!
-jes

Angela said...

Yeah, I know I said Silky terrier, right? We did manage to find one but mom preferred Danny. She's had enough of black dogs. :)

No problems coming over, just bring an extra pair of pants. He ain't toilet trained yet!