Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Holiday without Danny - Canada and Alaska

Yes, it's been a really long time since my last post, but this time, I have a good reason. I was away touring Vancouver and Alaska. Since Danny's been annoying me (he figured out how to pull off his muzzle and promptly chewed it up), I'll be posting about my trip instead. Hah!

Just before I left, I tried to take a few photos of Danny so I have something to look at when I miss him. The rascal was busy running all over the place, making a mess and wouldn't let me to get a good shot. Eventually, dad managed to catch him in mid dash and hauled him right up to the camera.

For the record, that's a tea towel he pulled off the table.

I think he was wondering what the heck was happening when the flash went off.

Anyway, yes, the trip. Canada has much nicer scenery than Alaska. I think it's because they benefit from longer summers so plants and flowers have a chance to bloom. Though I could be biased cos when I was there, Vancouver's weather was absolutely perfect, while Alaska was raining a lot.

Favourites from Vancouver?

Rocky Mountaineer (FYI, that the name of the train going up the mountain). They serve you breakfast in nice comfy, cushy chairs and free flow of drinks. Way better than taking the coach!

My advice? Sit on the left side going up and the right side coming down. You get a better view!


Whistler Mountain, where I did ziplining for the first time! You're about 7 storeys up in the trees and you zip across the river below. We also went up the gondola to the top of the mountain.

Surprisingly, it wasn't very cold. I just had a long-sleeved top on and I was fine. Some people were a bit mad. They were up there in shorts and slippers, bouncing about in the snow.


Coal Harbour....Luxury yachts and mountains. What's not to like?!



Stanley Park. Okay, to quote my friend, no park is complete without ducks in a pond. Plus, calling it a park is quite misleading to this Singaporean who pictured it to be about the size of Bishan Park. It's more like the size of MacRitchie and the Botanic Gardens put together.

And definately the Butchart Gardens! I know it's manicured and maintained by an army of garderners, but it's absolutely lovely!



As for Alaska, I'll be frank. I travelled halfway around the world just to see huskies in action. And after almost a week in Canada, I finally did!

Dogs at work - Coming back from a run. Since it's summer, they train them using a tractor sans engine.


Dogs at play - after the run. I can't believe a couple even jumped in the river! It was frigid cold! I was on the boat and I couldn't feel my fingers from the cold!


Dogs back at work - with me in the buggy!


AND THEY HAD PUPPIES!!! These little guys are only 3.5 weeks old!


More in the next post....

No comments: