Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Holiday without Danny - Flowers, Food and Other Observations

Okay, final post on my trip and I'll go right back to Danny. I just need to get it out of my system.

One of the things I really like about Canada and the US is that people can do what they like and be respected for it. The following two shots are taken in Vancouver.

In this shot, the guy did these "paintings" on the sidewalk completely in chalk, as in blackboard chalk! (The white bucket is for "contributions". )


In this pic, the guy crouched down is a spray paint artist. He is a degree holder with a full-time job as an IT engineer. (SMRT is you're reading this, I think we should pay him to do up our trains.)


And it's not just Canada.

In Alaska, our bus driver was a Masters student who lectures part-time at the university. He likes being a bus driver as it lets him interact with people which is a nice balance to research and books. Can you imagine someone with a Masters degree doing that here?

Again, on the train, our waitress was a recent uni grad.

I can't imagine any family here allowing their children to taken on jobs for which they are way over qualified. Somehow, it's seen as "beneath" them to do "menial" jobs. Our service sector here doesn't get the respect it deserves and it shows in the attitude of the staff.

Sad.


* * *


Another thing to love - flowers and scenary! The weather allows a vast variety of flowers and plants.

These flowers were in the Butchart Gardens in Canada. Don't ask me what they're called. I just take photos.

The rest were taken in Alaska. I thought this photo was quite nice but hubby doesn't think so. I guess the flag pole could be a bit shorter. Anyway, this was in Denali National Park.

These were taken on a track through a part of the rainforest.
Alaska was just entering Autumn when we went. Obvious, yeah?

It rained a lot in Alaska
This is so Smurf!

* * *

The people we met in Vancouver and Alaska were wonderful! We could be at a street corner studying a map and people would come up and ask if we needed help. Drivers on quiet roads would happily let us cross even though they had right of way (and hubby and I were jaywalking).

And cashiers and waitresses would have a quick chat with you. At no point did we feel like outsiders. It all added to the great time we had there.

The one thing that wasn't so great was the food. It was mostly bland, bland, bland. The burgers and steaks had little or no seasoning, Japanese gyoza was made with chicken, and even this Chinese restaurant that our originally-from-Hong-Kong guide recommended needed more garlic and soy sauce at the very least.

And for the record, I prefer our MacDonald's apple pie to the US MacDonald's.

Oh heck. I even prefer Brewerk's mac & cheese to the one I tried in Alaska. I ended up dumping a fair amount of salt and pepper on it.

My only memorable dish was this lavendar-something-cotta. First time I ever had a dessert that tasted like flowers! So super yums I had it twice!

When we came back, we made a beeline for Crystal Jade and Penang Place. Next stop - Newton.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean. I was a art student, but my family doesnt approve my artistic pursuits, end up being a engineer. I would like to be showing off (and selling) my stickers on the streets, but my gov wont let me... and I cant afford rents for flea market booths... so I can only moonlight on the internet... :) but like some people say, I am practically giving away stickers, cos I am mostly doing it for fun...

Angela said...

Art student? That explains all your creative pieces! I really like the doggie scarf you made. I'd get one for Danny but he'll just destroy it. :P

Actually if the gov wants to promote art, they should supply licences for people to display their art like they do for buskers.

I would like to moonlight as a tram guide at the Night Safari, but here I am doing what's expected.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the scarf. Bringing a dressed up dog out for a walk is kinda the in thing. I thought it was cute.

Nah, they not promoting street artist. They'll do alot to help you, after you have won some awards.

A scholar colleague once told me, that as a scholar, they are not allowed to work parttime at fastfoods or service as it is beneath them. There was a time, when degree holders are not eligble for taxi licenses too.

... so what are my chances of a 2nd career in driving a bus..?

Angela said...

I don't see why they don't approve of street artists. They can gain revenue from issuing licences and those who are not up to par will not be able to generate enough sales for a renewal.

Somone once told me that a cleaner is a cleaner because he cleans better than anyone else, and a CEO is a CEO because he bosses people around better than he cleans. For that, each profession deserves respect. Unfortunately, people equate "service" with "subservient". Pity.

new star spray paint art said...

Thank Angela,

The post looked great.
I actually enjoy do the art on the street just for fun.

NewStarSprayPaintArt - Vancouver
poliwog2010@gmail.com
Paul =)